March 25, 2011
FACTS AND FIGURES ON HISPANICS IN U.S.
Testimony given to Latino community leaders and lawyers today in New York showed some surprising statistics.
- 90 percent of immigrants deported from the United States are from Latin America, though 78 percent of all immigrants are from Latin America.
- from Manuel Vargas, founder, Immigrant Defense Project
- NYPD stop and frisks — in which a police officer who believes a person is acting suspiciously checks the person’s body for concealed weapons — increased 600 percent since 2002.
- 60 percent of frisks are conducted on blacks and Latinos even though they make up only 50 percent of the population of New York.
- from Darius Charney, Center for Constitutional Rights
- 26 million people speak Spanish at home in the United States.
- 30 percent of these don’t speak English.
- In New York, 4 million residents speak a language other than English at home.
- In New York, 1 million residents don’t speak English at all.
- from Theo Oshiro, Make The Road New York