In testimony before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary Task Force on Over-Criminalization, William Shepherd expressed the position of the American Bar Association that the breadth and consequence of federal criminal law is excessive, costly and counterproductive.
More Top Stories
- The Equal Pay Act at 50: Anniversary as opportunity June 10, 2013
- ABA to explore the legal side of video games and digital media June 7, 2013
- Protect your firm: Invest in cyber liability insurance June 4, 2013
- U.S. government can learn from contracting missteps in Iraq and Afghanistan, panel finds May 30, 2013
For-profit companies, including law firms, should be wary and understand the full implications of federal law before using unpaid interns, a panel of employment experts said during an American Bar Association program.
Being an attorney is a full-time job, but so is being a parent. Danielle Kays, Seyfarth Shaw LLP, Chicago, and mom to sons ages 1 and 3 shared 10 tips on how to be successful at both in a recent Sound Advice podcast from the ABA Section of Litigation.
In an airline merger, what’s the most important consideration? Maintaining and increasing the level of competition? Creating greater efficiencies for the airlines? Or protecting consumers’ choices?
Joint defense agreements have been around for a long time, and with them come both advantages and disadvantages. In a Sound Advice podcast from the American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Lee Ziffer of Kuchler Polk Schell Weiner & Richeson LLC explains the purpose of a joint defense agreement and offers guidelines for using the agreements wisely.
- ABA Sections of Antitrust Law, International Law respond to the COMESA Competition Commission’s Request for Comments on the Proposed Draft Guidelines to the COMESA Competition Regulations, 2004
June 17, 2013
- New ABA book provides blueprint for using forensic psychology in child custody cases
June 17, 2013
- National security leaders to discuss modern safety measures at ABA Homeland Security Law Institute
June 14, 2013
- ABA to House: Reduce ‘overcriminalization,’ save money, improve lives
The Crime Report
- 750 students attend final Law Day
Edmonds (Wash.) Beacon
- RVC lawyer appointed to national bar’s education committee
Rockville Centre (N.Y.) Patch
- Percentage of women in ‘NLJ 350’ law firms remains low
National Law Journal
- Mayor Dennis Archer honored for conferral of the Order of the Rising Sun by emperor of Japan
- CIA general counsel to be nominated top Pentagon lawyer
Blog of the Legal Times